I made two critical changes to my watercolor painting process for today's lotus flower study. I painted at the end of the day instead of the morning because I had a busy schedule. I decided to not draw a pencil outline of the lotus petals before adding the watercolor. I used one of my previous watercolor studies as a "model' instead of a photo. I still painted it one petal at a time with the stem last.
As a result of these changes, I ended up with a bold, vibrant watercolor painting using the same pigments I used before. Winsor Newton Permanent Rose was the base color that I laid down. To this, I added Winsor Newton Ultramarine Purple in the shadow areas (just a little for a glaze) while the petal was still wet. Again, while the petal was still wet, I added a little Winsor Newton Sepia to the shadow areas that had Winsor Newton Ultramarine Purple. Before it dried, I went back and added more Winsor Newton Permanent Rose to the shadow areas.
I then let the petal mix and mingle on its own while I moved onto another petal that wouldn't touch the petal that was wet. I let it dry naturally. When the petal was dry, I added a glaze of Winsor Newton Quinacridone Magenta into the shadow area and let it bleed in naturally into the lighter areas. I didn't put a lot of effort into the stem as mixing strong greens on paper is something that I'll have to work on. However, I like how this turned out. I'll paint tomorrow's lotus flower study this way again tomorrow.